Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bird sightings

Default Re: Bird sightings

I fish waveland lake a lot and always see bald eagles there it is so cool, we have seen pairs feeding on the lake swoop down and take fish right off the top of the water, they make fishing look easy. My fishing buddy and I have seen a bald eagle and golden eagle in the same tree there also what a sight to see. Just a couple of weeks ago got to see my very first river otter what a sight God I love nature.

One of the things I dearly love about serving the congregation I serve is the drive there and back. It is 17 miles of pure country from my house to the church door...and the sights are amazing. One of my congregants lives on a lake and they invite me to lunch frequently. Yes, nature at its finest, whitedog!

I use to know someone who raised some wild turkeys just to set free, hoping to increase their population.
    I'm not sure how many survived but maybe a few. I have seen flocks of about a dozen west of 75 just
    north of Dover. Last week I saw around a dozen in a vacant field along 32 near Shannondale. There
    are lots in the wilder areas of the southern counties. I believe they may be making a comeback.

Saw my Bald Eagle again this morning! He must be trying to get away from the female...he's out flying more since she's on the nest.

I've bird watched for many years and never seen things that are common in the bird world. today was one of those days I got to witness something I think is very common but I've never seen. I saw 7 blue jays robbing squirrel nests of their cache.... two or three would stand by while the others would go into and out of the squirrel nests with nuts in their beaks...!!!!It was really cool to witness that.. Seems like every Winter something new shows its way to me. I love living next to woods...
    "Only two things are infinite — the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe."
    —Albert Einstein,
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'” - Isaac Asimov
    " Some people call me a contrarian, but I don't think so" ---- Rowdy

I saw a (probably) red tail hawk swoop down and proceed to eat something on the ground.....probably a mouse. My husband yelled for me that he thought he was seeing a snowy owl. Boy did I come running! That would have been unbelievably great! But alas, it was just the light belly of the hawk on a limb sticking out from behind a tree. I did see a bald eagle a couple weeks ago, circling around our property. It was great! I'm concerned because we hardly have any birds around this year. It's almost eerie. I'm seeing juncos, chickadees and nuthatches and cardinals occasionally, but no where near in the numbers and varieties that is usual for around here.

Default Re: Bird sightings Ospreys in hickory meadows

Newest report on birds. looked up in the woods this morning and thought i saw an eagle watching the bird feeders....alas it was not an eagle but an osprey. i got a better look at it through the binoculars and saw the markings of an osprey. from a distance they have the same white head as an eagle but further investigation prove an osprey.....Really cool though ...... funny watching the nesting birds trying to scare it away...
    "Only two things are infinite — the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe."
    —Albert Einstein,
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'” - Isaac Asimov
    " Some people call me a contrarian, but I don't think so" ---- Rowdy

Cool! It's always exciting to see a new bird. A couple weeks ago, along Elizaville road, from my car, I watched a larger bird flying up and down, up and down over a field. When I got home and looked it up, it was probably a northern harrier. I'd never seen one before. Last Fall, I got to see a bald eagle swooping down and then flying over our field for awhile. I wonder how much the changing climate is affecting the birds we are seeing now?
    Lucky you, Roudyone!

I had someone give me the bird today.
    Fly Navy

I think I may have seen 2 male blue grosbeaks today. I hope so! If so, it's a first for me. They weren't bluebirds and I'm pretty sure they weren't indigo buntings, so I'm hoping............