Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bird sightings

Default Bird sightings

I live back in Hickory meadows, and our property backs up to the woods. this time we saw something kinda strange in the woods. normally we have seen fox, deer, coyotes, raccoons, squirrels, opossums, and lots of different varieties of birds in the woods. but this time I saw, PERCHED 25 feet in the air, a wild turkey. She seemed like she was looking for a place to sleep for the night. She kept on going over tree to tree justa flapping her huge wings......IT WAS AWESOME.. btw I know my birds very well so No it wasn't a turkey buzzard. So if you live near any woods close to witt road, be on the lookout.
    "Only two things are infinite — the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe."
    —Albert Einstein,
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'” - Isaac Asimov
    " Some people call me a contrarian, but I don't think so" ---- Rowdy

Default Re: Bird sightings

We have a pair of Bald Eagles that we have been watching for a couple of years. She's been sitting on the nest for some time now. Such elegant creatures!

Rowdy........that's interesting. I saw one recently.......but can't remember where. Maybe somewhere between Elizaville and Lebanon on Elizaville road. I've lived by woods for 35 years and we've never had turkeys. It made me wonder if someone had grown one and set it loose? I'm not sure we have enough big woods around this area to attract them. Plus......there are lots of people who would shoot them before we even saw them. I have a friend in southern Illinois who has a lot of them around........digging up all her ginseng and other wild things she's trying to grow.

Taxfax.........do you live around Lebanon? I would love to see Bald Eagles. I see Herons fly over fairly often.......but they are pretty leery of nesting near human activity. We have a big creek through our property but our neighbors occasionally ride their motocross cycles through their woods, and I'm sure that would scare them off.

In our field this weekend, we saw a woodcock.......then we saw that it had a nest of 4 eggs! I sure hope they make it.

I would love to see barn owls around. I had even thought of getting a barn owl box......but I've heard their greatest predator is the great horned owl....which we do have around here.

It's sad to see that so much of our open spaces and woods are being destroyed.

Funny........at Walmart this morning, there were a bunch of Canadian geese on the roof, making a racket. Probably yelling at us for destroying its habitat.......

Post again, if you see another turkey!

No, I live in rural Hancock County. I usually see the male Bald Eagle flying around on my way to church on Sunday mornings.

I have an owl of some sort living in my trees out front, but can never get a good enough look at it to see what kind it is.

My Dad lives in Washington State and they have wild turkeys by the dozens that come into their yard and make one devil of a mess in the landscaping. Their property used to back up against a woods. They have cleared out the woods and put in a subdivision. So now all the wildlife parades through my Dad's property. You can sit and watch out the patio door and see just about every kind of animal possible. The turkeys are the only ones he chases off.

You're really lucky Taxfax! I've only seen a bald eagle once, and that was around 71st st. and 465N (close to Eagle Creek Park). I was driving on the interstate and one flew over. Unfortunately, I couldn't watch it very much, or I would crash. haha

What kind of sound does the owl you have make? When we first moved here, I heard a screech owl fairly often, but haven't in a long time. Now I mostly see/hear barred owls. 2 years ago, I could hear an adult great horned and it's youngin'. I did hear several great horned last year too. The barred owl says "Who cooks for you". The great horned says "Who, who, who". The screech owl sounds like a horse whinnying. I would love to have saw whets around, but I don't think they're around here. I thought I had one once, but it was a blue jay, doing one of it's many sounds.

Sure wish there was more woods everywhere.....which is what the owls like.

I have never seen a in-the-wild Eagle. every winter we will get owls in the woods that wake you up in the night. lasts about a week. I've seen a couple of turkeys just before the Brownsburg exit heading south, but never PERCHED 30 foot in the air. and the woodpeckers, lots of woodpeckers.....Oh yeah...a couple of broad shoulder hawks used to hunt around my birdfeeders....they would catch a dove or two,hangout, then leave...its both awesome and repulsive at the same time....especially at breakfast.
    "Only two things are infinite — the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe."
    —Albert Einstein,
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'” - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    You're really lucky Taxfax! I've only seen a bald eagle once, and that was around 71st st. and 465N (close to Eagle Creek Park). I was driving on the interstate and one flew over. Unfortunately, I couldn't watch it very much, or I would crash. haha

What kind of sound does the owl you have make? When we first moved here, I heard a screech owl fairly often, but haven't in a long time. Now I mostly see/hear barred owls. 2 years ago, I could hear an adult great horned and it's youngin'. I did hear several great horned last year too. The barred owl says "Who cooks for you". The great horned says "Who, who, who". The screech owl sounds like a horse whinnying. I would love to have saw whets around, but I don't think they're around here. I thought I had one once, but it was a blue jay, doing one of it's many sounds.

Sure wish there was more woods everywhere.....which is what the owls like.
    Must be the Great Horned Owl. That's the sound. Probably a pair, as I've heard those sounds for 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowdyone2 View Post
    I have never seen a in-the-wild Eagle. every winter we will get owls in the woods that wake you up in the night. lasts about a week. I've seen a couple of turkeys just before the Brownsburg exit heading south, but never PERCHED 30 foot in the air. and the woodpeckers, lots of woodpeckers.....Oh yeah...a couple of broad shoulder hawks used to hunt around my birdfeeders....they would catch a dove or two,hangout, then leave...its both awesome and repulsive at the same time....especially at breakfast.
    We had a nest of Robins (they come back every year) and the babies were just learning to fly. One kept flying, then he would drop like something was wrong. Doggone Chicken Hawk swooped down and got him. Now that was repulsive!!

IMG_0465.jpg

this little guy found our window over the winter, after a couple hours inside, he was much better. took him outside and off he flew.....
    —Albert Einstein,

Female downy? (or is that a Hairy?)
    In the past few years, I've been seeing/hearing more pileateds. In the spring, I see Yellow bellied sap suckers.......usually drilling around the tulip trees.

Heard barred owls last night. I love it when several of them get going and it sounds like monkeys in the jungle.

I've seen a few birds up close and personal, because they hit the window and are stunned for a little while........like a red-eyed vireo, a yellow-billed cuckoo, a blue jay. A couple of them I've done what you did, and bring them in until they're stronger.

I found an oven bird dead on our deck once. First time I'd ever seen one. Funny thing.......my favorite wildlife artist, Robert Bateman, painted a pic of a dead oven bird in the forest, and said that he sees a number of them like that. I wonder why?

Taxfax.........nature can be ugly. But it does have it's ways of getting rid of inferior/weak things, and keeps populations in balance. But it IS hard to witness.
    I quit feeding the birds in my back yard a few years ago, for a number of reasons. But one year before I quit, a coopers hawk sat in the tree out back and watched my feeder all the time. Poor mourning doves....they're just too slow.

I do put up hummingbird feeders every May. The next day they show up! They are sure characters! I'm trying to grow lots of flowers/bushes that make seeds that the birds like. And weeds! We leave all the weeds for them too.

I'm hearing phoebes out there now. They like to build their nests against the house. They are very well behaved birds!