Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bird sightings

Default Re: Bird sightings

Wow.... they dont usually venture this far north... every year we have migratory rose breasted grosbeaks visit our feeders for about 2 weeks in the spring and for about a week in the fall. i counted 7 at one stop at the feeders this year.
    "Only two things are infinite — the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe."
    —Albert Einstein,
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'” - Isaac Asimov
    " Some people call me a contrarian, but I don't think so" ---- Rowdy

Well all the cold weather recently, I haven't tended to the feeders for a couple of days. So today i got to fill'em up and boy they were waiting for me.....lol....squawking as soon as i opened my feeder box.... the best news so far is that I had numerous blue jays show up for the peanuts. nice to see that west Nile hasn't hurt them too much in Indiana. Soooo... all 2 of you reading the chatter, go out and fill those feeders.
    "Only two things are infinite — the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe."
    —Albert Einstein,
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'” - Isaac Asimov

I usually don't feed the birds in the summer/Fall. Mostly in a hard winter, or towards the end of winter. But with the sub-zero temps lately, I just had to throw seed out to them. Mostly I'm seeing an assortment of sparrows (one fox sparrow, a song sparrow, white crowned and others I can't I.D.), blue jays, lots of mourning doves, juncos, some nuthatches, titmice, carolina wren, and just one male towhee. I'm also occasionally seeing a flicker. Lots of cardinals. Have you noticed that the females are dark this year? I've wondered if that maybe sometimes happens in really cold weather....to warm them from the sun more.?? I do see a hawk around sometimes...probably a red tail or a red shoulder. Haven't heard many owls this year, unfortunately. I read that snowy owls are coming further south from the north this year. Wouldn't that be incredible to see? I have a friend in southern Illinois who put up a barn owl box 2 years ago, and they came to her box and nested immediately. I'm envious! I've never seen a barn owl around here, unfortunately. Oh....my husband saw 2 bluebirds at the heated birdbath last week. I've also been seeing starlings, which are unusual for me here. I'm more accepting of them after I saw videos of their murmurations......just incredible!

haven't noticed the cardinals this year.. we usually have 2 pair of resident cardinals. The sap suckers are out and about more this year but the hairy woodpeckers shooo them away after awhile. now the last couple of years, we have a robin that eats from the feeders..(i know, crazy...robins eating from a feeder) and then she builds a nest in the platform feeder. I sometimes put meal worms in the platform feeder for the bug eaters. meal worms hasn't been a big attraction to feeders so after i empty the can, I'm not going back to them.
    —Albert Einstein,

You have sapsuckers around here in winter? I only have them in the spring and Fall, and only in the summer, if I'm lucky.
    I would like to buy mealworms for the bluebirds, but all the ones I see for sale out there are produced in China. I wonder why we can't produce them here?
    I looked out the window earlier and saw a hawk fly up quickly from where some birds were hanging out. I couldn't see if it got one. I know they need to eat too, but I hate the birds getting caught after I "lured" them in with seed.

For several years I had a female cardinal pecking on my windows (thinking it was another female, and she didn't like it). It drove me crazy. So now I have fake owls up in front of those windows and it seems to work. Every once in awhile, she (or her daughter that she's taught..haha) find a window without an owl in front of it, and she pecks, pecks, pecks, all day long.

great post glad to see the post maybe chatter will come to life again,with out all the negative's,

was backed up to some woods and fence rows, saw all those things, live in town now,small critte
    rs rabbits, squirrel.
    some cause happiness wherever
    they go;others,whenever they go

Saw 2 pileated woodpeckers out my window yesterday. Even got a pic of one of them. I had to lighten it to see if it's "mustache" was black or red. I just recently learned that the male has the red mustache, so I guess this one is a male. I am excited to see them around here, but they sure can make a big hole in a live tree for their nest.

Pileated woodpecker cropped and zoomed and lightened IMG_2893.jpg

Nice.... every couple of years, we get one..alas just one flying around. haven't seen him this year though.
    —Albert Einstein,

Saw a brown creeper this morning. I've seen them a couple times this winter. I'm sure the climate changing has a lot of them confused.

well.....It finally happened for me today.........after watching hundreds of varieties of birds through out the years, I finally got to see the 1 bird I've never seen in the wild....I was coming home from work this evening and coming down Austin Drive and looked up and there it was.....flying around till perching high in a tree behind the corner Austin Dr and Cherry park (there is woods back there and a creek) I finally got to see a....BALD EAGLE. never seen one in the wild before. SOOOOOOO very excited. doesn't seem much to most people, but i really enjoyed it......
    —Albert Einstein,