Default Why is the Bible true?

It is interesting to listen to people talk about the Bible and hear reasons why people think the Scriptures are true or untrue. The intern pastor at church was having his last week and so was asked to preach the Sunday sermon, and frankly, he preached a superior sermon by human estimation (i.e., mine).

He discussed among other things, the idea that some raise that believing in Jesus Christ and the Scriptures is unscientific, since by their estimation the claims of Scripture cannot be tested, or in scientific lingo, the claims of Scripture cannot be falsified, or to put it another way, the critics look at Jesus and the Biblical story as made up long ago with no means of verification. In using this method to deny Scripture they place the Bible in the category of mythology along with the Greek Gods, the Roman Pantheon, and the idols of the heathen nations, all poppycock and bereft of evidence to prove their claims.

This is not so. At least about the Bible.

The Bible COULD have been falsified . . . in the century in which it was written. Was Julius Caesar the emperor of Rome? But can you produce eyewitnesses to that fact? "No, but there is written evidence to his existence, and inscriptions about him, etc." Well, there is about Jesus Christ as well. There just isn't the motivation from some quarters to deny the existence of Julius Caesar as there exists for Jesus Christ, whose claims of kingship are universal, not merely of Rome.

What does this mean?

When the disciples proclaimed Jesus risen from the dead, and a non-believer said "He did not.", the disciples in the first century had a ready rejoinder: "I saw Him myself. You saw Him crucified. I saw Him alive, and it wasn't just me. Over 500 people have seen Him alive. Go ask them." And they did. And Christianity spread like wildfire, because of the constant cross referencing between a network of 1st century people who had seen Christ alive after his crucifixion and burial.

The 1st and early 2nd century critics of Christianity were quick to point out that the disciples were not educated men, that their arguments didn't fit the standard of scholarship of the time (Greek philosophy), and the disciples were ready to agree, because that was not the basis of their claim.

The basis of their claim that Jesus Christ is alive, was simple: I saw Him, and so did these many other people.

The Gospels, published in the First Century, contain the account of Jesus' healing of Jairus' daughter. If a critic of the Gospel wished to deny this healing, he first had to contradict Jairus, the ruler of the synagogue, whose daughter had been healed. Those people were available to be questioned, and their presence gave an opportunity to falsify the Gospel by evidence. The daughter was around, the ruler of the synagogue was a prominent man who could be questioned. The neighbors could be asked if the healing took place. So that the opportunity to falsify the gospel existed and those who would falsify the Gospel, ran up against the brick wall of meeting the people who participated in the events in question.

The maniac of Gadara could be questioned if he had been healed; the townspeople could be asked what happened to their herd of swine awhile back. The man born blind (John 9) could and was asked if he had been made to see, and his testimony could not be controverted by the priests because the whole town knew the fellow.

If one says that belief in the Bible is superstition or unscientific, one quickly realizes that this can only be said . . . now that the witnesses are unavailable. While they lived the Christian testimony of the resurrection of Jesus was powerful and revolutionized the world, and continues to change lives on the basis of the credible evidence of the first century witnesses.

More importantly . . . we realize that Jesus really is alive, having died for our sins and taken our punishment upon Himself. And this means, we can be forgiven and have the gift of eternal life.

It was a great sermon, a great Sunday, and we have a great Savior!
    Last edited by Grant Hodges; 05-24-2015 at 10:46 PM.

Default Re: Why is the Bible true?

there is plenty of evidence to dispute the bible. There have been many cases and research studies done by historians that show that many of the events and people in many of the books are fictitious. Even some of the places are made up.

Plus think about the other very large religions in this world. There are just as many islamic and hindu people in this world and they will all swear by their own text in the very same way you do: self-confirmation.

Hey man, i know it's your whole life and everything. But you should read into some other books besides the same one over and over again. Maybe you'll gain some perspective.
    "I don’t know everything, I just know what I know." - 羽川 翼

Quote Originally Posted by Shinryaku View Post
    there is plenty of evidence to dispute the bible. There have been many cases and research studies done by historians that show that many of the events and people in many of the books are fictitious. Even some of the places are made up.

Plus think about the other very large religions in this world. There are just as many islamic and hindu people in this world and they will all swear by their own text in the very same way you do: self-confirmation.

Hey man, i know it's your whole life and everything. But you should read into some other books besides the same one over and over again. Maybe you'll gain some perspective.
    Well, perhaps you could help me with that perspective. Tell me the names of three or four places in the Bible that are made up.

When I was studying for the ministry, the idea that certain Bible place names were made up and did not reflect actual geographical locales was current in liberal seminaries and secular religion departments of major universities.

I have thought long and hard about what cities the above poster may have been referring to, as made up cities, and I expect he had heard something about the 5 Philistine cities having never existed along with the non-existent Philistines themselves.

While I was in seminary, someone in Palestine was walking across a sand dune and his eye was caught by a gold glint, which turned out to be a piece of wire. Gold wire. He pulled on it of course, and up came a filigree crown, the circlet of metal that is referred to in the NT as a stephanos. Well, this discovery led to the unearthing of Ekron, one of the five Philistine cities.

The occasion of my writing about this is news in today's papers of the discovery of the gates of Gath, Goliath's home town. It would be particularly destructive to the Old Testament narrative of the line of Christ, to say that the gates of Gath, the place where David feigned insanity to escape the King of Gath, never existed. But now the attack of the liberal academics on the historicity of the Bible has been refuted by events on the ground, the discoveries of the Philistine cities.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/...red/ar-BBlocam

One of the archaeologists comments in the article above , that not only did Gath exist, it may have been the largest city in the land.

Never doubt the word of the Lord! It will always come back on you! Especially when the Lord promises us, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." That is always going to be true no matter what the world says. Doubting Him will only lead to later embarassment!

Even though lots of other evidences confirm the Bible (and you should discuss them), your conversations aren?t likely to get very far unless you address the deeper question: ?How do you know anything is true??
    Even secular logicians recognize this problem. Every philosophical system must start with presuppositions?starting points or assumptions? that cannot be proven from anything more basic, but are accepted up?front as the foundation for all subsequent reasoning.
    If you are interested in such questions and many other questions about the outlook watch the video here http://ghinsberg.com/inspirational-speaker/