Default (VA) destroyed veterans’ medical files

Department of Veterans Affairs employees destroyed veterans’ medical records to cancel backlogged exam requests

Patrick Howley

10:48 PM 02/24/2014

Employees of the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) destroyed veterans’ medical files in a systematic attempt to eliminate backlogged veteran medical exam requests, a former VA employee told The Daily Caller.

Audio of an internal VA meeting obtained by TheDC confirms that VA officials in Los Angeles intentionally canceled backlogged patient exam requests.

“The committee was called System Redesign and the purpose of the meeting was to figure out ways to correct the department’s efficiency. And one of the issues at the time was the backlog,” Oliver Mitchell, a Marine veteran and former patient services assistant in the VA Greater Los Angeles Medical Center, told TheDC.

“We just didn’t have the resources to conduct all of those exams. Basically we would get about 3,000 requests a month for [medical] exams, but in a 30-day period we only had the resources to do about 800. That rolls over to the next month and creates a backlog,” Mitchell said. ”It’s a numbers thing. The waiting list counts against the hospitals efficiency. The longer the veteran waits for an exam that counts against the hospital as far as productivity is concerned.”

By 2008, some patients were “waiting six to nine months for an exam” and VA “didn’t know how to address the issue,” Mitchell said.

VA Greater Los Angeles Radiology department chief Dr. Suzie El-Saden initiated an “ongoing discussion in the department” to cancel exam requests and destroy veterans’ medical files so that no record of the exam requests would exist, thus reducing the backlog, Mitchell said.

Audio from a November 2008 meeting obtained by The DC depicts VA Greater Los Angeles officials plotting to cancel backlogged exam requests.

“I’m still canceling orders from 2001,” said a male official in the meeting.

Fire them all.

Quote Originally Posted by WWTSD View Post
    Fire them all.
    Well why not, didn't you know that Veterans are now considered "possible terrorists" by our Government?
    Communist leader Josef Stalin (1879-1953): "Comrades, I consider it completely unimportant who in the party will vote, or how. But what is extraordinarily important is this: who will count the votes, and how."

This is so bad and it will only get worse

Quote Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
    This is so bad and it will only get worse
    Yes it will....much worse.....then it will get better.
    Communist leader Josef Stalin (1879-1953): "Comrades, I consider it completely unimportant who in the party will vote, or how. But what is extraordinarily important is this: who will count the votes, and how."

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBub View Post
    Well why not, didn't you know that Veterans are now considered "possible terrorists" by our Government?
    For a veteran to get a carry permit it is much harder than the average Joe. When I applied for mine, that is what I was told about the delay in getting processed. Since you were trained in how to handle a weapon, you are more dangerous than a guy who has never held a gun in his life. Only our government could use that logic!

I will say that any time I have ever contacted the VA for anything I was treated timely and well. I am never going to complain about services provided to me as a benefit.

I can only imagine with the explosion of PTSD cases that they are severely overwhelmed. This new affliction, while real, has taken on a whole new life of it's own. It is now considered a disability, not just an affliction. I believe it is being overly diagnosed as with other illnesses these days. When a diagnosis comes with free money and drugs, fraud will sadly occur.
    www.electjohnhamilton.com

Fight with your words today so your children don't have to fight for their lives tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by mustangjohn View Post
    I can only imagine with the explosion of PTSD cases that they are severely overwhelmed. This new affliction, while real, has taken on a whole new life of it's own. It is now considered a disability, not just an affliction. I believe it is being overly diagnosed as with other illnesses these days. When a diagnosis comes with free money and drugs, fraud will sadly occur.
    I figure this to be the case as well; previous candidates being Asperger's Syndrome, ADHD, ADD, and depression.

There is no excuse for treating a vet worse than a regular citizen in a carry application. Whoever thought that up should be banned from government service for life.

The people who destroyed those files are criminals and belong in prison, as do their supervisors if they thought it up.