Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Red's mom View Post
    This thread reminded me of the time my youngest was about 3 or 4 years old. He was the most "hyper" of all my kids when he was little. I always said that God gave me four other kids before him so that I would get lots of practice and be ready for him. By the time he was this age he had learned about every trick in the book from the older ones too.
    Anyway one time in a VERY crowded Wendy's, he had been acting up; standing on the chair, yelling, running around almost tripping people etc.
    I warned him that if I had to "get on to him" one more time we were going to the bathroom. He knew that that meant gettin a whipping.
    Well he stood up on the chair, I grabbed him and we were headed to the bathroom when he started yelling, "Somebody help me! This isn't my mom!!"
    An old guy at the next table about choked to death on his french fries laughing.
    Now THAT is funny. I was an angel. I never had to be whipped. hehehee.
    Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth… AMEN!

I know this'll make me sound like a real hellion but I've been punished with switches from trees, belts, a razor strap, spankings, and a paddle my brother made in shop class--dumb brother! So, when it came to my kids, they had a few spankings and swats on the butt when they were young but by the time they were five, a straightforward discussion was all that was necessary. They were easy to raise and no teenage problems either. They were always home at least a half hour before curfew. Sorry my mom didn't have it that easy with me.
    “So just kiss me and let my hair messy itself in your fingers. Let me steady myself in the arms of someone who won't ask me to be what he needs, but let me exist as I am." ~Unknown

fly swatter
    wire hanger
    broom handle
    extension cord
    rolling pin
    2 X 4
    tennis balls in tube socks
    baseball bat (not often)
    crow bar/tire iron (only twice)

Quote Originally Posted by DayTripper View Post
    fly swatter
    wire hanger
    broom handle
    extension cord
    rolling pin
    2 X 4
    baseball bat (not often)
    I am sorry.......I had a best friend all through grade school that went through that s***.

stacylynn Guest

I have tried the take a fly swatter and hit the table with. My boys just looked at me with a look on their face like "what ever mom" and turn around and do it again while still looking at me.
    My childrens father's father was a hitter. And it did not help him.

But we do not spank. In my house the problem got so bad, because I would tell them to go to time out or their bedroom. They would cry because they knew daddy did not want to hear it and would let them out. Had a big problem in my house because of that. The boys did not think they had to listen to me.
    Now that it is just me. I can see a big improvement since May. Now yes they do still get crazy. When people come over or I am on the phone. They think they can do whatever. But even that is getting better.

Never got spanked dad just had the look. Worst than any spanking.
    DRINKS ARE ON THE HOUSE

fly swatter
    wire hanger
    broom handle
    extension cord
    rolling pin
    2 X 4
    baseball bat (not often)
    Not cool! not cool at all.

I use spanking ONLY as a last resort. I have only ever used my hand. I remember getting smacked with a switch by my grandma and once by mom but I sooo deserved it. My dad almost broke his hand once trying to spank me but I moved out of the way and he hit the stereo instead. I deserved that spanking too.
    Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth… AMEN!

fly swatter
    wire hanger
    broom handle
    extension cord
    rolling pin
    2 X 4
    baseball bat (not often)
    fly swatter
    wire hanger
    broom handle
    extension cord
    rolling pin
    2 X 4
    baseball bat (not often)

Oops! I forgot chainsaw, rusty barbed wire, cat o' nine tails, and stuffing them in the iron maiden when they are really bad.

Get real ... who posts a question like "what do you hit your kids with?" anyway ... what kind of topic is that for conversation? I was hoping you would catch the sarcasm in the original post. I don't hit my kids with anything ... and I think it is disturbing to see all of you admitting that you strike them at all, let alone without the aid of some sort of assistance. When you hit kids, they grow up thinking that it's okay to hit others. They grow up thinking that if someone loves you, it is okay if they hit you -- so girls let their boyfriends abuse them, because they got hit by their parents -- who "love" them -- and this is the way people who love you treat you.

I think disciplining kids is necessary -- but what are you teaching them when you hit them, except violence is the best way to deal with a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    If this is true, why was the world a better, more respectful place back then?
    The parents don't care anymore. They don't tell their children 'no'. I spank in my house, if a couple of times to time out don't work. I was spanked until I got to a certian age.

One day a lady came into my work and we offer coffee. Well her childern were getting coffee (no older than 13) and putting cream and sugar in it. Well the mom says to the youngest which asked her if he could get coffee (maybe 6) and she told him no and that his brother and sister were acting badly. So anyways... when they were leaving the mother comes up to me and tells me "Maybe you should have a sign that says not for kids by the coffee" I'm sorry if you feel that your kids don't need coffee (which they shouldn't at that age, JMO) than tell them NO control your childs!

That's what's wrong with todays kids is that their parents don't control them and let them run wide and out of control.
    SAHM of 3 daughters
    adopted stepdaughter 7 years
    daughter 3 years
    daughter 11 months
    wife 4 years