Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default death on I-65???

did someone get killed on 65 this morning? is so, who was it? supposedly they left johnies and got on the interstate going the wrong way. anyone know who?

Head-on collision kills 2 on I-65 Saturday, July 19 2008

Police say the driver of this Chevy Blazer, Mark Cabbell Jr. of Indianapolis, caused a collision by driving the wrong way down Interstate 65 in Lebanon.

LEBANON — Two people died in a head-on collision early this morning on Interstate 65 in Lebanon.

At 3:57 a.m., a 911 dispatcher received notification about a sport utility vehicle that entered the northbound high-speed lane of I-65 from the State Road 39 exit and immediately began driving the wrong way, southbound, down the interstate.

About 15 seconds after receiving the call, dispatchers received a second 911 call indicating a head-on collision had occurred between the 138 and 139 mile markers of the interstate.

Emergency personnel work the scene of this morning's fatal crash on I-65.

Deputy Keith Bruner of the Boone County Sheriff's Department was the first to arrive at the scene. Police said Bruner and other emergency responders were on the scene within a minute of notification of the accident. The drivers of both vehicles, however, died at the scene.

The Boone County Sheriff's Department reported the driver of wrong-way vehicle, a 2000 Chevrolet Blazer, was Mark A. Cabbell Jr. of Indianapolis.

The northbound driver, Samantha J. Burke of Lafayette, was driving a 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix that was hit by Cabbell's Blazer. Neither driver had any passengers.

Police called a LifeLine helicopter to the scene as members of the Lebanon Fire Department extricated Cabbell, but he died on the scene. Burke had already died at the scene.

"There is some indication of alcohol being a factor with the wrong-way driver, and we have requested chemical tests by the coroner," police reported in press release.

Samantha Burke died after her Pontiac Grand Prix was hit by a wrong-way driver.

The Boone County Sheriff's Department is leading the investigation of the crash, but was assisted at the scene by members of the Lebanon Whitestown and Zionsville police departments; Witham Health Services medics; the Lebanon and Center Township fire departments; and Boone County Sheriff's Department chaplains.

"Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families of these victims," said Sheriff Ken Campbell. "As always, the team effort amongst our emergency service agencies in Boone County was outstanding. If motorists observe an emergency such as this, do not hesitate to call 911 so we can respond as quickly as possible."

LoDeRoBeLiMePaChSa Guest

Quote Originally Posted by militarysupporter View Post
    did someone get killed on 65 this morning? is so, who was it? supposedly they left johnies and got on the interstate going the wrong way. anyone know who?

Someone from Lafayette and other person from Indianapolis. Seen it on the news. Was driving at a high rate of speed. Both driver were killed. News said south of Lebanon. But I seen it, about half mile south of SR39. North Bound Lanes of I-65. So I would call that Lebanon area.

LoDeRoBeLiMePaChSa Guest

Quote Originally Posted by button21 View Post
    Head-on collision kills 2 on I-65 Saturday, July 19 2008

Police say the driver of this Chevy Blazer, Mark Cabbell Jr. of Indianapolis, caused a collision by driving the wrong way down Interstate 65 in Lebanon.

LEBANON — Two people died in a head-on collision early this morning on Interstate 65 in Lebanon.

At 3:57 a.m., a 911 dispatcher received notification about a sport utility vehicle that entered the northbound high-speed lane of I-65 from the State Road 39 exit and immediately began driving the wrong way, southbound, down the interstate.

About 15 seconds after receiving the call, dispatchers received a second 911 call indicating a head-on collision had occurred between the 138 and 139 mile markers of the interstate.

Emergency personnel work the scene of this morning's fatal crash on I-65.

Deputy Keith Bruner of the Boone County Sheriff's Department was the first to arrive at the scene. Police said Bruner and other emergency responders were on the scene within a minute of notification of the accident. The drivers of both vehicles, however, died at the scene.

The Boone County Sheriff's Department reported the driver of wrong-way vehicle, a 2000 Chevrolet Blazer, was Mark A. Cabbell Jr. of Indianapolis.

The northbound driver, Samantha J. Burke of Lafayette, was driving a 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix that was hit by Cabbell's Blazer. Neither driver had any passengers.

Police called a LifeLine helicopter to the scene as members of the Lebanon Fire Department extricated Cabbell, but he died on the scene. Burke had already died at the scene.

"There is some indication of alcohol being a factor with the wrong-way driver, and we have requested chemical tests by the coroner," police reported in press release.

Samantha Burke died after her Pontiac Grand Prix was hit by a wrong-way driver.

The Boone County Sheriff's Department is leading the investigation of the crash, but was assisted at the scene by members of the Lebanon Whitestown and Zionsville police departments; Witham Health Services medics; the Lebanon and Center Township fire departments; and Boone County Sheriff's Department chaplains.

"Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families of these victims," said Sheriff Ken Campbell. "As always, the team effort amongst our emergency service agencies in Boone County was outstanding. If motorists observe an emergency such as this, do not hesitate to call 911 so we can respond as quickly as possible."
    Better than me

The jury is still out on that one.
    Classy comment newb.

what you mean "better than me"? it would be a bit 'jaded' to look at it as "better them, than me". tragic affair. hopefully they'll find it was a bad mistake, not another DUI. but either way that's two families facing a tough time and lots of questions right now.

i won't say i've never drank and drove. i used to live in a bottle of jack daniel's. well actually, a gentleman told me that the answer to all of lifes problems was at the bottom of a bottle, the trick was finding that bottle. i put a mighty effort into the search. almost killed me a few times, not from driving, from my mouth and feeling invincible but i digress. but one standard that i never violated, was i never drank and got on an interstate. as i said, i made some bad decisions, and while i may never win any lottos or prizes, i won the prize of being able to sit here and look back and say "i messed up". not everyone does. and eventually i moved out of that bottle i had tried to live in and joined the real world.

my thoughts are with the families of the victims, and the LEOs, EMTs and firefighters that responded. tragic event.
    "Reality has a well-known liberal bias." - Stephen Colbert

Quote Originally Posted by LoDeRoBeLiMePaChSa View Post
    Better than me
    What the heck kind of comment is that? Nice!

I don't think LoDeRoBeLiMePaChSa meant anything by the comment other than "that is better or more information than I had". At least that was the way I took it.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun.
    -- Katharine Hepburn

Big D Guest

Sammi Jo was really a Crawfordsville grad in 2004. I use to coach her in summer softball as a preteen and teen. She was a wonderful person who always had a smile on her face. She also would take you out sliding into 2nd base breaking up a double play then see if your were alright. She was still a new bride and I was told she just found out she was going to be a mommy.

Death can be so capricious, so quick, and so unexpected. Hug your loved ones every day and tell them you love them.
    Don't worry about old age. It doesn't last that long.