Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default New senate gun control bill proposed...

So a democrat and republican senator, who are both strong gun advocates, have come up with a proposed bill for increased background checks to include private sales, but not sales or transfers between family or friends, and the bill will somehow allow interstate carry of a firearm!

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/s...-election.html

Currently, only people who buy guns through federally licensed dealers have to undergo a criminal background check, leaving a loophole for some online and gun show shoppers. The new bill would expand checks to nearly every gun transaction except for some private sales and transfers among relatives. The background checks bar people who have committed felonies or have been declared mentally ill by a judge from purchasing firearms.

Toomey said he did not think expanding background checks to cover current loopholes amounts to "gun control." Instead, he said, "It's just common sense."

Both Toomey and Manchin are gun owners and have an A rating from the National Rifle Association, the largest pro-gun lobby group. Toomey said he added some provisions to strengthen gun rights in the bill, including allowing a legal gun owner to take his or her concealed weapon over state lines while traveling, even if that state does not allow concealed carry.

========================

I almost never buy a gun in a private sale so what little cost increase if I do is nothing compared to the hassle of not being able to carry in Ill. this could be a very good step forward without the usual 2 steps backward that are all to common place with gov't restrictions! But let's wait to see the actual text of the bill...
    Last edited by jimmyd; 04-10-2013 at 02:08 PM.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Actually, I think I can go with that...but have not seen the actual bill, and more importantly what it will look like AFTER all the amendments that will be attached before it is passed.

AND...I would like to see an amendment that any Senator or Representative that votes for the bill will be forced to resign with TOTAL LOSS of any benefits, IF the background checks and registration is EVER used to start a confiscation of said firearms. Since we a constantly told that this would never happen they should be just fine with that.
    "Find out just what people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them. ... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.'"-- Fredric Douglass--

I am an gun owner and with the bit you have posted it sounds like a decent plan, of course the full bill may have different results. I like the interstate travel addition. I would like some clarification on who will provide the background checks, do I have to go to a FFL or will the local PD provide that. Will the government regulate the allowable fee charged since they are mandating the background check? A typical transfer seems to be $15-25 currently, but once it a mandatory thing what to keep the FFL's from charging double or triple that?
    Landon

So, what's the definition of family or friends?

Quote Originally Posted by Landon View Post
    I am an gun owner and with the bit you have posted it sounds like a decent plan, of course the full bill may have different results. I like the interstate travel addition. I would like some clarification on who will provide the background checks, do I have to go to a FFL or will the local PD provide that. Will the government regulate the allowable fee charged since they are mandating the background check? A typical transfer seems to be $15-25 currently, but once it a mandatory thing what to keep the FFL's from charging double or triple that?
    Landon - you can bet that transfer fees would indeed double, at least, as would the markup on gun prices at dealerships. I can understand the proposal - but where does it stop illegal guns owned by those already not legal to own them? How well did Prohibition work, or current day marijuana laws? People so inclined to break laws will do so. Only law abiding citizens will be disarmed.
    There is danger from all men. The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty. -John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by allendouglass View Post
    you can bet that transfer fees would indeed double, at least,
    I too have concerns with the prices that gun stores charge for the NCIC check for a private sale.
    It would be nice if the FBI/ATF came up with an online service for citizens who are doing a private sale = but then there would be some liability on the seller for being reasonably sure of the validity of the buyers ID... so I'm good with paying a little when doing a private sale.

as would the markup on gun prices at dealerships.
    The NCIC check doesn't change for the guns being sold by the licensed gun store so there shouldn't be any mark up on the merchandise... unless the store is going to offer the private sales background checks for free and charge more to compensate???

I can understand the proposal - but where does it stop illegal guns owned by those already not legal to own them? How well did Prohibition work, or current day marijuana laws? People so inclined to break laws will do so. Only law abiding citizens will be disarmed.
    I agree, I don't think this law will affect that many criminals - or their ability to get their hands on guns for further criminal acts.
    But if they get it passed where we can travel to other states without going through the hassle of getting multiple states gun permits... so worth it!
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Skillet View Post
    So, what's the definition of family or friends?
    Yeah, no doubt...that's got interpretation wide enough to drive a truck through, I'd think.
    ================================================== ========
    A lot of people out there pay good lip service to the idea of personal freedom...right up to the point that someone tries to do something that they personally don't approve of. ~ Neal Boortz

Jesus said "Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?" Don't be a speck inspector.

With the recent stabbing in Texas... can we control knives too?

Sure, you can control anything. Just change the definition so it fits.

This is all in response to the Sandy Hook tragedy. How would anything being proposed have prevented it from happening? This is nothing more than gun control for the sake of gun control. Incrementalism. When the next mass shooting happens, (and it will) the cry will be that "We didn't go far enough last time." and the 2nd amendment will be amended yet again, and again until it is amended out of existence. In this case, they throw in a bone, that will be taken back at a later date with the restrictions on law abiding citizens still intact.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.