Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arrow update on whats going to happen to I-65 construction

Motorists traveling I-65 between Lebanon and Zionsville need to expect changes in the traffic pattern every time they drive through during the next several months.
    At Monday’s informational meeting on the second stage of the first phase of the widening of I-65 through Boone County, project contractors outlined the work to be done between the end of April and August, and cautioned drivers to be ready to see slight lane shifts and workers out during the day.
    The concern about safety isn’t without cause; already during this project a worker was struck by a vehicle and seriously injured.
    On March 24, Matthew J. Sutton was struck while doing survey work in the median at the 131 mile marker. The driver of the vehicle, Shanae D. Olson, 26, of Columbus, Ohio, was ticketed for speeding in a construction zone. According to the police report, Olson struck Sutton after she lost control of the vehicle and swerved into the median.
    Tim Harvey, project superintendent for Milestone Contractors — the company doing the first phase work — said both of Sutton’s legs were broken just above the ankles, and that the outcome could have been much worse if Sutton hadn’t seen the oncoming vehicle and jumped toward the cable barrier before the impact.
    “That’s what saved him,” Harvey said.
    The first phase of the project, now under way, is to widen the interstate to six lanes between I-865 to a half-mile south of County Road 100 East — a distance of about nine miles. The speed limit through that area is 45 m.p.h. when workers are on the site, and 55 m.p.h. the rest of the time.
    Included in the first phase is the replacement of the Ind. 267 interchange and repaving of ramps at Ind. 334.
    The first stage of the work is nearing completion.
    Mike Ferrara, from Milestone Contractors, said night work should be expected in the work zone for the next three to four weeks as the first stage wraps up.
    In the second stage, workers will be on site during the day, behind concrete barriers, lining the inside lanes of the interstate.
    When the second stage begins, northbound traffic between Ind. 334 and Ind. 267 will be moved about four feet onto the outside shoulder. The traffic will return to the existing lanes at Ind. 267. At the same time, southbound traffic will be moved about four feet onto the outside shoulder from near CR 100 East to Ind. 267. Traffic in both directions will be slightly diverted in the area of the Prairie Creek Culvert, which is north of Ind. 267.
    “Motorists are advised to be aware of changing conditions,” Harvey noted. “They may come to work one morning and (the road) will be different than it was the night before.”
    The second stage of the work should be finished in August, and the first phase of work is expected to be finished in time for Thanksgiving travelers.
    When the work is complete, the median between southbound and northbound I-65 will be about 15 feet wide. Ferrara said the cable barrier is not effective in a median that narrow, and the cable barrier will be replaced with a double-faced guardrail nearer the southbound lane.
    A future second phase will extend the six-lanes of I-65 to just north of the U.S. 52 overpass on Lebanon’s northwest side. That phase, which has yet to be let for bids, will eliminate the south-bound off ramp to Lafayette Avenue.

I just wish people would go the speed limit! I set my cruise at the speed limit or a mile or two above and nearly get taken out!!! I stay in the right lane to stay out of the way and it doesn't matter; people will fly up on me and zoom around at the last second! It gets scary. I try to be good because one I don't want to hit and workers and two I don't want a crazy priced ticket!!! Whyy are people so dumb with their driving through there??
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by mommy2mygirlies View Post
    I just wish people would go the speed limit! I set my cruise at the speed limit or a mile or two above and nearly get taken out!!! I stay in the right lane to stay out of the way and it doesn't matter; people will fly up on me and zoom around at the last second! It gets scary. I try to be good because one I don't want to hit and workers and two I don't want a crazy priced ticket!!! Whyy are people so dumb with their driving through there??
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I totally agree. I will allow myself no more than 5 miles over the posted limit. if the lights are flashing for the speed limit to be 45, I go no more than 50, and from the looks I get, you'd think I was the one breaking the law. How big of a hurry can you be in anyway, that you would be willing to put the life of a worker at risk?

Question Bridge at 267

Are they going to tear this bridge out 100% and totally rebuild it or what? That's how the articles in the paper made it sound, but I have yet to see a sign saying it will closed as of any particular date.
    ================================================== ========
    A lot of people out there pay good lip service to the idea of personal freedom...right up to the point that someone tries to do something that they personally don't approve of. ~ Neal Boortz

Jesus said "Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?" Don't be a speck inspector.

Quote Originally Posted by HRHTA812 View Post
    Are they going to tear this bridge out 100% and totally rebuild it or what? That's how the articles in the paper made it sound, but I have yet to see a sign saying it will closed as of any particular date.
    Yes, it is going to be raised higher, kinda like the one over SR32.

So indeed all that money was spent on those cables for such a short period of time...
    Half the truth is a WHOLE lie!

I believe the construction zone is 8 miles.

8 miles at 45mph = 10 min 40 sec
    55mph = 8 min 45 sec
    65mph = 7 min 20 sec

I wonder if any one of these people who go well in excess of the posted speed limit spend an extra two minutes or three minutes and 20 seconds doing something stupid and yet feel that waste is still worth more than the life or well-being of the worker they may potentially hit.
    "I believe that the only way a father can really teach his children is by example" - Mario Andretti in SuperSpeedway

Find me on FaceBook

My webpage

Stuart@StuartShowalter.com

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    So indeed all that money was spent on those cables for such a short period of time...
    they will be recycled, and moved further north up I-65. they are not going to just scrap them.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Showalter View Post
    I believe the construction zone is 8 miles.

8 miles at 45mph = 10 min 40 sec
    55mph = 8 min 45 sec
    65mph = 7 min 20 sec

I wonder if any one of these people who go well in excess of the posted speed limit spend an extra two minutes or three minutes and 20 seconds doing something stupid and yet feel that waste is still worth more than the life or well-being of the worker they may potentially hit.
    Ive mentioned something like this in another thread about the construction. But I work in zionsville and even going 45 mph almost the whole way, I only have to leave 1 or 2 minutes early! thats it!

For all those people in a huge hurry to get to work and feel like its not neccessary to do the speed limit... Id love to see how long it would take them to get to work if they got pulled over! OHHH add about 20 minutes now! Im sorry, but id rather have to leave 2 minutes earlier or be a couple minutes late than get in a car accident and kill myself or others!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dnakaa View Post
    Ive mentioned something like this in another thread about the construction. But I work in zionsville and even going 45 mph almost the whole way, I only have to leave 1 or 2 minutes early! thats it!

For all those people in a huge hurry to get to work and feel like its not neccessary to do the speed limit... Id love to see how long it would take them to get to work if they got pulled over! OHHH add about 20 minutes now! Im sorry, but id rather have to leave 2 minutes earlier or be a couple minutes late than get in a car accident and kill myself or others!!!!
    or, get a $1000 ticket for speeding in a work zone.