Default How does Government affect Your Daily Life?

While watching the news the question struck me "how does the government impact my everyday life?" If the government as we now know it didn't exsist, how would it impact me? My list is as follows;

1, National Defense, keeping our country safe.
    2, Roads and Transportation
    3, Public Safety, Police, Fire, EMT
    4, Public Education
    5, Farm Subsidy Payment

What other benefits do you recieve daily that is directly from a government entity? I'm not talking about things that provide entertainment, enjoyment, or make you feel better.

I'm not suggesting getting rid of government, just how much could it be scaled back? What should the real purpose of government be? WB<><.

i think it would impact me more than most. because i get my college benefits through the VA and some other things.

however, i think we would have an army still, and there would still be a need for the roads to be kept up and laws to be enforced.

i think all of these things would still need to be done.

honestly, aside from people recieving SSI and related benefits, VA benefits and other government entitlements. i don't think that life would change too much. it would just be learning a new system of accomplishing things.

work would still be done, prayers would still be said, babies would still be born... and i'd still be giving local conservatives hell for disagreeing with my political beliefs....
    "Reality has a well-known liberal bias." - Stephen Colbert

People would have to take responsibility for themselves. Plan ahead for job loss, retirement, illness, you know like it was before the gov't started intervening in everyones paycheck and personal lives. People would realize they didn't need a babysitter their whole adult life. Tax money would be used what it was intended for in the beggining. I personally think the gov't should also get away from ramming their idea of education down our throat, let us make some decisions for ourselves. Them educating us is helping make the general public repeat some of the same mistakes in history.
    Stoopud iz az stoopud duz......

Quote Originally Posted by Elixir View Post
    People would have to take responsibility for themselves. Plan ahead for job loss, retirement, illness, you know like it was before the gov't started intervening in everyones paycheck and personal lives. People would realize they didn't need a babysitter their whole adult life. Tax money would be used what it was intended for in the beggining. I personally think the gov't should also get away from ramming their idea of education down our throat, let us make some decisions for ourselves. Them educating us is helping make the general public repeat some of the same mistakes in history.
    Good post.

I don't think anyone is advocating that we have no government, only that the government is already way too big so it's silly to keep making it bigger and bigger until it controls every aspect of our lives. We need government — but we need a much smaller government. Military, roads and infrastructure, public education, and public safety are things we wouldn't want to do without.

The biggest impact the government has on the lives of everyone (or everyone who works for a living, anyway) is financial. The less government there is, the more money we all have.

There is a difference between "wants" and "needs" that a huge segment of our population doesn't understand. For example, I often use the local library, which receives government funding. I like that library, appreciate that it's available to me, and often donate to various fundraisers they're having. There was a time when libraries didn't receive government funding and were built and operated solely on donations. If the government stopped giving money to the library, I would start giving more to it, because I want it to be there. Other people around me maybe never use the library and would instead like to give their money to something that they do use. I would like to see them have that right.