Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down The "Just pay processing & handling" rip-off

I was doing some reading on that Emery Cat thingy, trying to find out what the scratching surface is actually made of, and I found some interesting posts on several sites about the billing. I feel lucky to have found this out without actually having paid it to learn the lesson.

You know how a lot of these commercials say it's a buy one get one free deal, and say "Just pay processing & handling" for the second item? Now, typically, I think the P & H charges on all those things are high, but if the second one is free, it's not such a bad deal, right? Wrong.

As it turns out, the charge for the second item is often not the same processing & handling fee as for the first item. They may charge you $7.99 P & H on the first item, but then stick you with almost double that for the P & H on the "free" one.

I just assumed, as most folks would, that the P & H is the same for both - why wouldn't it be if they are the same exact item??? Be sure to ask if you order something with one of those deals. What a rip-off!
    ================================================== ========
    A lot of people out there pay good lip service to the idea of personal freedom...right up to the point that someone tries to do something that they personally don't approve of. ~ Neal Boortz

Jesus said "Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?" Don't be a speck inspector.

why cant they just put them both in the same pkg? it would only cost more for postage.

That is too bad. I was just thinking about looking into it because my daughter wants it for her cat. I had looked at some indestructible chew toy for the dog a week before Christmas and the shipping was incredibly high on both the free one and the one you bought so I didn't get those either.
    Never underestimate the power of cleavage!

Cool

'Postage and Handling' can be a rip-off...but only a minor one when you consider that a pack of cigarettes only costs you a quarter.

Plus $49.87 in taxes.

And so we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Quote Originally Posted by GRILL MASTER View Post
    why cant they just put them both in the same pkg? it would only cost more for postage.
    It would be nice if that happened.

Quote Originally Posted by LebTransplant View Post
    That is too bad. I was just thinking about looking into it because my daughter wants it for her cat. I had looked at some indestructible chew toy for the dog a week before Christmas and the shipping was incredibly high on both the free one and the one you bought so I didn't get those either.
    I'm still interested it in, but I will wait until it's in stores - you don't get two of them that way, but apparently the second one is not even close to being free anyway, so what the heck. Buying in the store makes it easier to return, too, if you need to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by GRILL MASTER View Post
    That's the kicker - they do put it in the same package! And yet they are charging you a whole bunch more for "processing" it.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldEagle View Post
    'Postage and Handling' can be a rip-off...but only a minor one when you consider that a pack of cigarettes only costs you a quarter.

Plus $49.87 in taxes.

Too funny!!!!!
    A lot of people out there pay good lip service to the idea of personal freedom...right up to the point that someone tries to do something that they personally don't approve of. ~ Neal Boortz

Jesus said "Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?" Don't be a speck inspector.

Default processing

I just read their website where you buy the product and it says 7.99 shipping on first one and same price 7.99 on second one also.
    get in -sit down- and hold on-

Quote Originally Posted by indiana57 View Post
    I just read their website where you buy the product and it says 7.99 shipping on first one and same price 7.99 on second one also.
    Maybe they changed their ways after they got complaints - that would be a very good thing! Here's a sample of what I saw folks posting on cat blogs:
    Having inherited a cat that loves using leather furniture for claw grooming, I have tried a variety of clawing boards, sissel (sp?) products, etc. So I ordered the Emery Cat Board from their web site where you can get 2 for the price of one, paying only shipping and handling. The order should have cost $35.00 total. After I finished the process I was presented with a $66.70 bill that will be charged to my credit card. I am trying to reach the company, but it took 2 days for an email to come with an actual phone number and they are closed till Monday, natch. I understand the boards will be available in stores such as Target, Walmart, and pet stores. I strongly suggest waiting till then to buy one and give it a try. In theory it may prove really great. But I would warn all not to buy from their web site.

Here's my take on the whole infomercial scams. They say "satisfaction guaranteed or your money back, less shipping and processing". I say the product is only worth what they charge for "shipping and processing". But wait...............

Release Date: 01/05/2010

CR Tests of 15 Popular Infomercial Products Reveal Many Are Not Worth Buying

Snuggie, Slap Chop, and ShamWow among them
    YONKERS, NY — Products sold on late-night television promise to solve problems like scrubbing baked-on crud from cookware, mopping up gallons of spilled milk, and falling off ladders when cleaning gutters. But Consumer Reports’ tests of 15 products sold through infomercials reveal that many of them are not worth buying.
    CR’s experts suggest that some of the products not worth paying for include the Slap Chop dicer, the Snuggie, the ShamWow, the Ab Circle Pro, Debbie Meyer Green Bags and the iRobot Looj gutter cleaner.
    According to the report ‘Should you buy this now!?,’ infomercials are a mighty money machine. They can chop marketing costs to as little as one-tenth the size of a traditional advertising campaign and slice posted prices when they increase the total bill with shipping and handling fees and other extras.
    The secret, according to an advertising expert, lies in neuroscience—infomercials are carefully scripted to pump up dopamine levels in your brain. The fun starts with dramatizations of a problem you didn’t know you had followed by an incredible solution, then a series of ever more amazing product benefits, bonuses, and giveaways, all leading to the final thrilling plunge of an unbelievably low price. After the ride, dopamine levels drop in 5 or 6 minutes, which is why they ask you to buy in the next 3 minutes.
    “Consumers should pause 10 minutes before buying anything from an infomercial and see if they can get the same job done for free or with a product that they already have in their house,” said Jeff Blyskal, senior editor, Consumer Reports. “Think if you can find another solution for this ‘problem.’ Instead of buying an exercise machine, for example, doing sit ups or just following a diet may accomplish the same thing.”
    The full investigation is available in the February 2010 issue of Consumer Reports on sale at newsstands January 5 or online at www.ConsumerReports.org.
    In recent years, Consumer Reports has turned up a mix of “miracle” gadgets and goops that deceived, delivered, or landed somewhere in between. Here’s a roundup:
    Slap Chop. The Claim: By slapping this gadget with your palm, you can “dice, chop, and mince in seconds” and remove skins from onions and garlic. Cost: About $20. The Check: CR slapped mushrooms, potatoes, carrots, chocolate, almonds, and other foods. Bottom Line: No high fives. It chopped unevenly. Harder foods needed about 20 slaps and tended to get trapped in the blades. Garlic peels came off in five slaps, onion skins were only partially separated after 10.
    Snuggie. The Claim: “The Snuggie blanket keeps you totally warm,” and is made of “ultrasoft, luxurious fleece.” Cost: $19.95 for two. The Check: CR testers put Snuggies through 10 wash-and-dry cycles and asked 11 staffers to wear and comment. Bottom Line: The Snuggie was so far from snug that several staffers had trouble walking. When washed it sheds. Each time CR laundered two Snuggies, they removed a sandwich bag worth of lint from the dryer.
    PedEgg. The Claim: The foot file removes calluses and dead skin to “make your feet feel smooth and healthy with NO MESS!” Cost: About $10. The Check: Twenty-six women and three men with rough, calloused feet tried a PedEgg on one foot and a pumice stone on the other. They used each product once, rubbing PedEgg on dry skin and the stone on wet skin. Bottom Line: Crack open a PedEgg. It was very good at removing callouses and good with dry skin.
    Grease Bullet. The Claim: “Just fill your sink with hot water, drop in the Grease Bullet, and soak your toughest baked-on cookware, no more scrubbing!” Cost: $10 for 12 bullets. The Check: CR tested it on glass, ceramic, stainless-steel, aluminum, and porcelain-coated cookware in which testers baked on a thin layer of beef broth and “monster mash,” an evil mix of cherry pie filling, tomato purée, egg yolks, lard, and cheese. Bottom Line: The Bullet is no bull’s eye, but it could be worth a shot. It did a reasonable job with most residues if the cookware soaked for the recommended half hour. But soaking cookware overnight in hot water and dish detergent would also aid cleanup.
    ShamWow. The Claim: “Like a chamois, a towel, a sponge, works wet or dry, holds 12 times its weight in liquid.” Cost: Four 19½x23½-inch towels and four 15x15-inch towels cost $19.95. The Check: CR testers dunked ShamWows in water, soda, and milk until each could hold no more liquid and the small ones to see if they could slurp up as much water, milk and used motor oil as sponges. Bottom Line: CR wasn’t wowed. ShamWow soaked up only 10 times its weight in water or soda and usually 12 times its weight in milk. If testers used a damp ShamWow, they needed another cloth to wipe remaining droplets.

Publication date 01/05/10
    © Consumers Union 2010.