Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question how do you make persimmon pulp?

The hubby and I want to make some persimmon pulp, and I can't find any simple instructions on-line. Does anyone know how it's done. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 46052 View Post
    The hubby and I want to make some persimmon pulp, and I can't find any simple instructions on-line. Does anyone know how it's done. Thanks!
    #1 - Find a persimmon

#2 - Use a hammer and beat it to a pulp

If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Planet Earth, USA, Indiana, Boone County, Lebanon

OMG...I love persimmon pudding...unfortunately I have no idea whatsoever how to make the pulp. Do you already have the persimmons?
    A good friend of mine made some persimmon pudding about a year ago...she bought the pulp frozen some place...same place another friend bought apples...like an orchard? Can't remember the name...I'll give her a ring and let you know what I find out.

Quote Originally Posted by 46052 View Post
    The few times I made it, I borrowed my mil cone colander and it has a wooden tool with it. You clean the persimmons and make sure they are clean. Put them in the colander and push it thru for the pulp. It takes many to get enough pulp for the pudding. I LOVE IT..... Good luck!!

The item that Sunshine is referring to is exactly what we use to do our persimmon pulp. It's a tomato sieve:

You really need to wait until after the first heavy frost and the persimmons fall to the ground. They look like they're rotten and nasty, but that's when you need to do your pulp. It's not hard, but boy is it messy!

Thank you all, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Mitch77 Guest

Default I am going to find out

My cousin has trees all around her and she is going to show me how to do it. She has been giving me the pulp but is now having bad back problems so I am going to pick up the persimmons and make them into pulp this evening after work. I can't wait to learn! Good luck to you 46052! Maybe we can compare notes afterwards! By the way you don't have to wait for frost because by then they will be too rotten. And there are places that would pay you for any persimmons that aren't rotten. My cousins says to pick up the persimmons daily so they aren't rotten. Good luck again!

Default Use a Foley food mill

For years I used the conical sieve - it's quite time consuming. Then I got a Foley food mill and it made all the difference in the world. Pick them up daily and put them in the freezer until you're ready to process them. The pulp can be frozen for up to a year.

The Country Market on 421 south of 32 has it frozen--I've used it a few times. Much easier...and I don't have persimmon trees anyway!

ummm...should I let the fire department know you are trying to fix something you have never made before...should I remind you of the biscuit fiasco when my brothers and I were younger????
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    Albert Einstein