Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Stinky dead mouse - need advice

Our kitchen stinks of rotting flesh. Nothing under the sink....it seems to be coming from under the dishwasher or under one of the drawer cabinets. We put down a new kitchen floor last year...vinyl. If I pull out the dishwasher, it may damage the floor. The drawer cabinet is sealed underneath....no way to get under it.

I sprinkled baking soda in the area under the sink. Did my best to toss some under the dishwasher. Sprayed various air fresheners, all to no avail. That is one stinky dead mouse (geez, I presume it's a mouse).

How long does it take for a dead mouse to stop stinking?
    If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu. Elizabeth Warren

we had this about 7 years ago, but it was a baby oppsum that had somehow gotten into the crawl space. the smell started off faint then got a little worse every day for about a week and a half before we finaly figured out where it was coming from. we cleaned trash can's, threw away a bag of potato's, all kinds of stuff not knowing what the source was.

AAron Smith for Mayor

oh yea, i'd say about 3 weeks minimum.

AAron Smith for Mayor

Arrrggggghhhh.....
    If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu. Elizabeth Warren

Our kids had hamsters and one got loose and never did find that little sucker, but in our bedroom we had a closet where the doors on each side went into the wall. No way we could take those doors out, but I swear that sucker was in that wall and died, it smelled terrible. Really there was nothing we could do, but go out and buy some of those oder eliminators and spray the heck out of them. Also they use to sell a plastic container you open and set out to absorb smells, can't remember what they are called. OR go to Bath and Body and buy 2 or 3 of those smell good plug ins and put them in there. Sorry only idea I have

I don't have any good advice, but I have been there and done that. I was able to find ours when it happened so we were lucky. Sorry about the stink oldster - it really sucks!

About once every three months or so we have the same problem. It's embarassing.
    Some how mice (we are assuming it's mice) get into the wall in the kitchen and die. We've done everything but tear the walls down.
    The house is on a slab so it's not UNDER the house, we think they are getting in through the attic. We've been over every inch of that attic, plugged up every hole we could find, set out poison and traps and just when we think we've gotten rid of the problem, we wake up one morning, walk into the kitchen and gag!
    It lasts anywhere from a one to two weeks. Cooking aromas help to cover it up along with glade plug-ins, sprays and clothes pins on the nose.
    Good luck!
    My hero wears pink ribbons and fights like a girl!!!

We have this a lot out here. It really doesn't take that long. It peaks after about two days (which could have already happened if you're smelling it that bad) and then it fades and another two days we don't notice it anymore. I burn a lot of nicely scented candles during that time.
    Mother of five, wife of one, sister to two, cousin to thirty-one.

Quote Originally Posted by oldster View Post
    Our kitchen stinks of rotting flesh. Nothing under the sink....it seems to be coming from under the dishwasher or under one of the drawer cabinets. We put down a new kitchen floor last year...vinyl. If I pull out the dishwasher, it may damage the floor. The drawer cabinet is sealed underneath....no way to get under it.

I sprinkled baking soda in the area under the sink. Did my best to toss some under the dishwasher. Sprayed various air fresheners, all to no avail. That is one stinky dead mouse (geez, I presume it's a mouse).

How long does it take for a dead mouse to stop stinking?
    I feel your pain brother and have no other advice to offer that hasn't already been offered. Get a cat? It will go away. How's my baby doing?
    ~~Live Simply~~Love Generously~~Care Deeply~~Speak Kindly~~and leave the rest to God

Quote Originally Posted by Red's mom View Post
    We've been over every inch of that attic, plugged up every hole we could find, set out poison and traps and just when we think we've gotten rid of the problem, we wake up one morning, walk into the kitchen and gag!
    Hey Red's mom - the poison is part of your problem - actually that explains why you get dead ones so often. You should never put poison out in your house (attic - whatever) they will die in the house that way.