PDA

View Full Version : Not Feeling Welcome in Downtown Lebanon

pinklily
11-16-2007, 01:16 PM
My husband and I went to the courthouse this morning to pay our taxes like the good little taxpayers that we are. It took an hour and a half because of several questions we had at the treasurer's office and having to fill out an appeal at another office and more paperwork to consolitate some properties at a third office. Well, after all that we were pretty hungry and decided to go across the street to eat at Cowan's. Not a good idea! Oh, don't get me wrong - the food there was very good. No, that wasn't the problem. The problem was that when we got back to the truck there was a parking ticket on the windshield. We were parked a total of 2 hours and 44 minutes. (Cowan's took an hour because we got to talking to another guy who was eating there) Chock up another $15 to dole out and feeling that our business is not wanted in downtown Lebanon. Sorry, no questions about this - just wanted to vent.

GRILL MASTER
11-16-2007, 01:22 PM
parking tickets do suck,but with the VERY limited parking on the square they want you to s&^t and get off the pot. so to speak

Kiss The Cook
11-16-2007, 01:27 PM
How long is one allowed to park there legally? Not exactly a good way to "revitalize" our downtown!

GRILL MASTER
11-16-2007, 01:39 PM
2 hour limit. and if you park on the east side of the square,that side is for police only!! atleast they said thats what they where changing it to.

hank
11-16-2007, 01:45 PM
I have never liked the two hour parking limits on downtown spaces. Drive through and around the courthouse square one evening and pretend to be from out of town. You will see two hour limit parking signs, private parking, "your car will towed" signs, and other assorted parking signs EVERYWHERE. Banks seem to own most lots and post "warning private" on all. My point is, as with all the chat over "gateways" and appeal, I flat feel that any stranger seeing all those parking restrictions around the courthouse whould not sense this is not a friendly town whatsoever. I'd love to see little shops and country stores on the Lebanon Square, but all these limits and restrictions on parking make it impossible. This was a question on the Mayorial debate forum, and it was briefly addressed, but no answer made. SIGNS SIGNS EVERYWHERE SIGNS... stinking up the scenery....messing with my mind! I wish EACH and EVERY bank that own lots downtown could please, kindly, make them accessable to all (even non back customers); and that the two hour parking limit signs would be removed. Freedom for all say I. Sorry ya'll got the ticket.

infantryman11b
11-16-2007, 02:08 PM
me i park in the key lot usually. who knows whether i'm on bank business or not. haven't been towed yet so it must still be "my secret". that's what i would do were i you and had the possibility of taking more than 2 hrs to finish my business. mostly though i don't think there's anything that should take more than 2 hours. if nothing else park over at CVS and buy a coke to assuage your guilt of taking a spot for an extended period of time and hoof it the block to the courthouse. does that help give you "other options"?

lebanonborn
11-16-2007, 02:13 PM
Didn't they put the signs up at the Key parking lots to discourage all the bar patrons from parking there?

Cleer
11-16-2007, 02:14 PM
Not to stir the pot, but I work on the square and if there were no 2 hr limits, there would be NO available spaces. They would be filled with employees that are parking there while at work. The spots are for visitors and people doing business, that is the reason for the time limit.

Cleer
11-16-2007, 02:16 PM
Didn't they put the signs up at the Key parking lots to discourage all the bar patrons from parking there?

I think the owner of the building got sick of her parking lot getting filled up by patrons of the bar.

lebanonborn
11-16-2007, 02:20 PM
That's what I thought, especially before the other two (where CVS is now) was torn down. None of them had much parking, so they used Key's lots.

Mamou
11-16-2007, 02:34 PM
I was trying to find a parking spot on the inner side of the square. Two laps around. No parking spots. How is it that there used to be JCPenney, Adlers, Mitchell & Berry, D&R Music, Apple Shoe Store, Scott's 5&10, Boone County Hardware located on the square and there wasn't a parking problem. Now there are virtually almost no businesses left on the square, and all the parking is taken. What gives?

lebanonborn
11-16-2007, 02:38 PM
More business at the courthouse and the courthouse annex maybe? :idk

pinklily
11-16-2007, 02:51 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Don't know why we didn't see the 2 hour parking limit signs - too focused on all the tax stuff I guess.

infantryman11b
11-16-2007, 02:52 PM
well i've been living for 17 years. i don't remember any of those businesses on the square. but i would assume that the population of this town has grown. and a lot of issues go through there. there's a lot of title companies and the banks and i'm thinking that probably keeps traffic up as well.

Grace
11-16-2007, 03:30 PM
I wonder is you showed your recieipts from both the taxes being paid and also your lunch ticket they would take back that ticket. Seems like each place you do business with should allow 2 hours. I do agree though that if we removed the limit that all employees would be parked there once again.

Big D
11-16-2007, 03:42 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Don't know why we didn't see the 2 hour parking limit signs - too focused on all the tax stuff I guess.
How about using a stamp from the US post office?? I saw where Crawfordsville is taking their meters out. It won't help in that case. There is no place to shop anyway. They also have to many one way streets and to many trucks that come through downtown. The trucks stop all traffic from flowing. 2 big trucks at a stop light will stop traffic for 2 lights back.

GRILL MASTER
11-16-2007, 03:50 PM
parking meters are a good idea,but you would have empoyees using them up

Stuart Showalter
11-16-2007, 05:46 PM
I wonder is you showed your recieipts from both the taxes being paid and also your lunch ticket they would take back that ticket. Seems like each place you do business with should allow 2 hours. I do agree though that if we removed the limit that all employees would be parked there once again.

Very good idea. Worth a shot. Although technically a violation I wouldn't call it abusing the time restriction. I would give you a break if I could.

The two hour parking limit extends one block away from the square in all directions. That means over towards the post office, police station, around the library . .

The Defiant
11-16-2007, 06:11 PM
For such a large library, there is such a small library parking lot for the Lebanon Public Library. Any solutions coming soon?

infantryman11b
11-16-2007, 06:53 PM
parking meters are a good idea,but you would have empoyees using them up

do you really think that people would pay say $1/hr that worked on the square rather than park for free and walk a little bit further? sounds a little far fetched to me. i don't know how much it would cost to install them, and then service them? would that be cheaper than keeping one person on retainer M-F like they do now?

Sunshine
11-16-2007, 06:55 PM
Lebanon had parking meters years ago, removed them all!!

lebanonborn
11-16-2007, 07:29 PM
When I was a young whipper snapper back in the '70's and got my first apartment, it was in an apartment on the main street of the town I grew up in, and the courthouse was caddy-cornered from it. They had parking meters, around the square, and yes, some of the courthouse employees would park a block away so they wouldn't have to pay for parking, but some would use washers (as in washers and bolts) to pay for parking. Evidently the meters couldn't tell the difference between them and dimes! Eventually they took the meters out saying it wasn't worth paying a meter maid.

gardenlover
11-16-2007, 08:48 PM
Wait I'm a little messed up here. Where do downtown employees park ?

I've used the IGA parking lot before even to go to the library because I couldn't find a place to park, I just kinda wondered if the employees where parking around the square, any answers to this question? :blonde

lebgrad
11-16-2007, 10:03 PM
It is my understanding that there are 2 parking passes per office that are for County Employees. They are allowed to park on the inside of square only. The rest of employees must park at least 1 bock off of the square or in the tiny parking lot behind the annex building. The outside parking spots are for visitors and consumers. (the ones closet to the stores)

I have not heard that the police officers have any arrangements to park on the east side of square. Anyone without a parking pass is able to park on either the inside or outside, but no longer than 2 hrs. (receipts or no receipts) tax time or not.

Friday is the worst time to go to the Courthouse as there are many small claims cases going on, and it is the busiest time of the week. Mondays are also busy. Tues thru Thurs are the best times to do your Courthouse business. I have also been told that a few buildings are being looked at to expand offices for better locations. The Clerk's Office and the Prosecutor's Office must remain in the same building with the Courts.

It would be nice to locate the Auditor, Assessor and Treasurer together on the same floor somewhere with better access for tax payers, so they don't have to go up and down the stairs, since all 3 offices perform different duties, but are tied together.

uniqueasasnowflake
11-17-2007, 01:05 PM
Now that Huntington Bank doesn't have a branch at Kroger's any longer all the customers have to park and walk to the bank...and the money movers are not accessable...One at a drive-thru banking window which seems like they have 20 minute conversations with each car and the other one is on the side of the bank out front. That Sucks!

lebanonborn
11-17-2007, 01:51 PM
As for what's our bank going to be called this month...Huntington at the moment. One of the customer service reps when I called the 800 number told me to call and complain, and if there is enough complaints they will do something about it.

Sunshine
11-17-2007, 01:58 PM
I HEARD that Huntington bought the old Richard Bennett store and will tear it down and put in more OR make the drive thru bigger????

oldster
11-20-2007, 09:05 AM
If we're going to revitalize the downtown (and yes, it can be done!), one of the first steps is that ALL parking must be free, and all courthouse or other city/county employees (including police cars, unless offloading a prisoner) must be banned from parking anywhere on the square. That's step 1.

Step 2 is that a substantial lot must be acquired within one block of downtown, and that lot will be paved and specified only for city and county employees, OR for people visiting the government offices on business. If there isn't enough flat area available, then a two-story structure must be built.

This approach has been taken in other towns as a prerequisite for even getting started on attracting businesses downtown. It's the horse that MUST come before the cart. Our city and county governments have got to have the foresight to begin the solution, the strength to withstand the criticism from some quarters, and a way to find the money for the necessary land purchase....to make it happen.

The Defiant
11-20-2007, 09:36 AM
I agree with you Oldster.

MorningPerson
11-20-2007, 10:12 AM
I was beginning to wonder where everyone suggested city/county employees park. They definitely need to park somewhere. We can't just continue to ban them from parking anywhere. These people are just trying to get to work every day, just like everyone else. If the county would purchase an area for parking, they need designate it for employees only.

LiveLaughLove
11-20-2007, 11:12 AM
I was trying to find a parking spot on the inner side of the square. Two laps around. No parking spots. How is it that there used to be JCPenney, Adlers, Mitchell & Berry, D&R Music, Apple Shoe Store, Scott's 5&10, Boone County Hardware located on the square and there wasn't a parking problem. Now there are virtually almost no businesses left on the square, and all the parking is taken. What gives?

There used to be a JCPenny in Lebanon!?! How long ago?

mommy1BD
11-20-2007, 11:18 AM

There used to be a JCPenny in Lebanon!?! How long ago?

That's ok, the only one I remeber is the hardware store and that's because my mom use to work there. Do remember to much about it though. LOL

tallredhead_46052
11-20-2007, 11:20 AM
I believe Penney's closed in the earliy 90's

wife&mom
11-20-2007, 11:21 AM
Penney's was where the county offices are now; formerly Appliance Central on the North side of the square.

llk
11-20-2007, 12:42 PM
yes penny's. and just of the square was a montgomery wards,
the parking problem hasn't kept up with all the new people,remember we use to be a smaller town and people use to walk uptown.

froggie
11-20-2007, 01:29 PM
Penney's closed in late 1990 or very early in 1991. The last time I was there was when I picked up a bridesmaid dress for my best friend's wedding (12/90) and the store was in the process of closing.

Mamou
11-20-2007, 01:33 PM
Does anyone remember Dollar Day in Lebanon? I think it was the first Wednesday in August. All the stores on the square would have a big annual sale.

Sunshine
11-20-2007, 05:43 PM
Does anyone remember Dollar Day in Lebanon? I think it was the first Wednesday in August. All the stores on the square would have a big annual sale.
I sure do.....that was when my Mom would start Christmas shopping and was very busy on the square.....plus buy for school clothes. Wow mamou thought you was to young to remember that :mrgreen:

kingskid
11-20-2007, 06:44 PM

Dollar Day was the first Wednesday in February and the first Wednesday in August. Santa always came to town the day after Thanksgiving.

felix99
11-20-2007, 09:11 PM
pennys used to be on the east side of the square on south side of alley my brother used to work there back in late 40s or early 50s.

lizra
11-21-2007, 06:18 AM

Oh! :hyper That sounds wonderful! I should ask up at Tippancanoe Mall when their sidewalk sale is scheduled for......75% off is the way to go!

kilian
11-21-2007, 06:22 AM
Getting back to parking for the square
What about the space where Pizza by George used to be?
I know they planted some grass there and I'm all for going green but I never see it used for anything except at the Back to the 50's festival.
It could make a nice little parking lot.

oldster
11-21-2007, 06:40 AM
I may be wrong about this, but I seem to remember reading that the lot is owned by the adjacent church, which is holding it as a potential site for expansion, and they won't even discuss a long-term lease.